Saturday, March 6, 2010

OPRF'S Fame: Take Two!

On second viewing last night, Fame was as good as it gets. Vocals seemed stronger on opening night, but this time most of the actors', especially McLean, facial expressions seemed even more developed.

I noticed a few changes in the dialogue, but they always fit, which shows great ad-libbing skills. Sitting in the front row, also known as the BRAVO row, made everything seem like I was up on the stage. The faces of the actors were so exuberant filled with energy and focus, but relaxed, no one looked high strung. They knew what they were doing.

Probably a lot of you have seen the newest movie of Fame that came out into theaters in 2009. Has any one seen the original television episodes from 1982-83? Many thing are similar but boy, some of it is very different. The character Tyrone Jackson, from the OPRF show, shared many similarities to the character Malik, in the new move Fame. Malik was an indignant young man, who wanted to make sure everyone knew life wasn't easy for him. That is kind of what Tyrone was like. He was also an African American dancer, which is like the character Leroy, in the original shows. Leroy is one of the best dancers at the school and has his own sense of humor.

I felt that Jazmine was a little more dramatic in the scene when she's talking to Schlomo about L.A. She did it so well, that the girls i was sitting with were crying, and I was also on the verge of tears. Even though her character, Carmen, is very confident, you fall in love with her by the end. She tries so hard to earn the fame she's killing herself for, and it pretty much breaks your heart. Jazmine has been in numerous shows with both BRAVO and off Broadway shows also. She knows the drill, and that's what makes her so good.

Over all I liked the show again, but I think I still commend the same people for how well they did. The dancers still amazed me at how well and on top of things they were. Also the maturity in some of the actor's voices is still incredible. Well done everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your reviews. I was a huge fan of the Fame TV show-especially the dancers. Will you also be reviewing movies, music etc? Best wishes on your acting career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for signing on to follow me. Not sure yet about what I am going to review, but I am going to the theater tonight, so stay tuned! And thank you again, as I am in a show right now, Beauty and The Beast as Madame de la Grande Bouche. Stay tuned for blogs and photos about the show!

    ReplyDelete